The Quezon City government is creating a tourism office tasked to pursue the city’s goal of becoming Metro Manila’s main tourist destination.
QC Vice Mayor Joy Belmonte told reporters in an interview, the department will do an inventory of the city's tourism resources and would implement standards for its tourism-related services.
At the same time, Belmonte cited four major tourist spots in Novaliches district as major contributors in the tourism program development of QC.
• Tandang Sora Shrine on Upper Banlat
• General Geronimo Park in Novaliches Proper
• Cry of Pugad Lawin Shrine in Barangay Bahay Toro
• La Mesa Eco-Park in Fairview
University of the Philippines Diliman
Belmonte has designated actor-comedian and City councilor Roderick Paulate to head the committee that would draft the creation of the ordinance creating the new department.
“We will make an inventory of the city's tourism resources, accredit and standardize our tourism-related services, assess and develop our tourism investment potential, create a high quality international image, identify and develop tourism zones, as well as initiate high-profile events," Belmonte said.
She said they have set the goal of making Quezon City the main tourist destination in Metro Manila.
Among the tourist spots mentioned on the city government website are:
• Quezon City Memorial Circle
• University of the Philippines Diliman campus
• Ateneo de Manila University in Loyola Heights
• The centuries old Sanctuario de San Pedro Bautista located at San Francisco del Monte
• The historical Sto. Domingo Church in Sta. Mesa Heights
• The Bantayog ng mga Bayani in Diliman
• People Power Monument in White Plains
• Ninoy Aquino Parks and Wildlife Center
All major Philippine television networks and radio stations have their headquarters in the city.
The city also boasts of popular malls, department stores and commercial and concert areas, foremost of which is the Araneta Coliseum in Cubao. (PNA)